Monday, November 8, 2010

Second interview

The second interview is technically the third interview in my case tomorrow. I say this because, with the phone interview and the 1st interview in person, the 2nd in person interview, is the 3rd interview, and its tomorrow.... So you would assume that by the third time I would be more relaxed, you would assume wrong.
This is not my first, “second interview,” so I understand that this does not mean I’m in the clear. For all of the jobs I had ever done in my life, I had never done as much work on interviews as I do now. I could have literally walked in, express interest, and walked out knowing I was starting tomorrow. For the last two jobs I had, there was actually a formal interview, and I would have to wait to hear, in one case I think it was 6 months, possibly more? That was how I knew life was getting more serious.
But now, I need multiple interview appropriate outfits, and still in the end, I may not get the job. It’s true! Since I have graduated, I have been asked to take tests, do phone interviews, do face to face interviews, sometimes with 3 different people in one day. Even the occasional surprise interview, such as, “oh, so and so is here, you should talk with them too,” why not? I love to interview for 3 hours straight with no bathroom break or granola bar in sight.
Even worse than my own interviewing though, is hearing from my friends or family members how they are interviewing people. Such as, “I saw this person and they made me think of you,” and then later I hear how or why they didn’t hire that person. Basically you just told me why I’m not good enough to work at your company, was that a pep talk?! I don’t tend to take it personally anymore, because people are really trying to help, but I do find it hard when people tell me all the reason they didn’t hire someone, because I can now be beyond empathetic towards understanding how hard it really, truly is out there, especially when I feel as though the interview was misjudged.
Before I began this grand search to find a career, I always thought people would be lucky to hire me, I mean after all, that was what my friends and family told me! As the months went on, and the rejections came rolling in, I began to question if that was true anymore. If you have enough people tell you that you need a nose job in Hollywood to get a call back, chances are you are getting the boob job that goes with it! My point is, it’s hard to not try to change. People are always telling me, “say this,” or, “look like that,” and you begin to wonder if it is you. DO NOT! Sure we can all be better people in some way, but if you begin to question yourself, why should the “right” job even hire you? And let me ask you this, are you even applying for the “right” jobs anymore?
Let me make this easy for you. You know the prettiest girl in school, the one who knows she is pretty? Yes, we all hated her (except the guys, they all wanted to date her) because she was so arrogant. Don’t be her! How about the girl that was super pretty and always denied it, just to hear people tell her how pretty she was, don’t be here either, very annoying, and too high maintenance. BUT, you know the girl who was really pretty, didn’t seem like she knew it, and accepted it graciously when she received a compliment? She did know it! She just didn’t rub it in your face, be her! Sure this might be hard for guys to understand, maybe not, change all of the “hers” to “him”, and all the “pretty” to the “most awesome athlete in school”…see it works for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment