Monday, November 22, 2010

And the winner is...

There are days when I know exactly what I want to write, then there are days I sit and stare at my computer until motivation strikes or something happens, such as the phone call I received this morning. This was the call I had been waiting, no hoping for, it just wasn’t quite as I had imagined it would be.
As the conversation awkwardly began, by telling me I didn’t get the job, I wasn’t too shocked. I knew it was a hard decision, most of them are. But he continued to say that maybe there was another option for me. I perked up, but it is in cases such as this that maybe some people would be offended. Why? Because the position he mentions to me is considered “less prestigious” and therefore some people may feel as though they are better than that. I think he even hesitated to tell me about it, because he wanted me to be aware of the negative aspects along with the positive.
I found the conversation interesting, and exciting. Of course there was the disappointment from not landing “the job” I had hoped for, but as we were talking the thought occurred to me, I would have applied to either job if I had seen the listing, even quiet possibly the one he was talking to me about because it’s entry level. Sure a great title is exciting, but for me, this isn’t about titles, this isn’t even about getting a “job” it’s about going to work to do something you love, something I am proud of.
So, as I look at the job description that I had already had from my previous interviews, part of me is nervous, I mean this is not going to be one of those positions where creative thinking leads my day. But, it’s a gateway to opportunities. Someone once told me many years ago, that you will never get paid enough in money, but knowledge is priceless, so the more you take from every experience the richer you will be, and no matter what happens, no one can take that knowledge away from you. Basically things, can be taken back, money can be lost to the ever enchanting stock market, but what you learn is yours so take advantage or the real loss is yours. I have found that true in every job I have done so far and made it my business to master what I could as fast as I could, so I could be in a position to learn more.
So here I am, presented with an opportunity. This is not to say I have the job, because don’t worry I was reminded I did not! This is to say, I could interview for this position, I could put myself out there. Sure there are many down sides, as in sitting 15 feet from the person who got the original job I interviewed for. But that is only a down side if I choose to look at it that way. My thoughts are, if I were to get this other position, and they did get that position, then they have a lot to teach me who knows I might teach them something! Even more, we are both there to work as a team towards the better good for the organization and all of the people that it helps, which means for me I would be at my goal, maybe not on a professional title level, but I would be one of the lucky people who gets to work in a industry they want to work in!
Sure ultimately a title is something that we work for, and like to see how people react to, but at the same time, at least for me, getting to say that you are a part of something that changes and helps to improve tens of thousands of lives a year, that is pretty amazing no matter what the title. Sure, getting a job is about money, it’s about title, and it’s about fulfillment in some way for each of us. For some people what makes them proud is a large house, nice car, and fancy clothing…but then there are people like me who knew those things were great but wanted to be proud of a finished college education, volunteer work, and even more that I get to do something that actually helps make the world a better place, not that keeps the world at bay to just make my life a better place with material possessions. It looks like I might just be interviewing again…real soon.

1 comment:

  1. Joanna,

    Just a word of advice that I learned a long time ago, all that glitters is not gold!! Which means to me and I have experienced it several, just because you didn't get the position you want, the person who did, may not "be gold" and you could end up glittering!

    Don't give up, you have alot of good wishes and love in your corner!

    Aunt Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete