Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday

So when I woke up on Black Friday, it hit me like a ton of bricks, I forgot to call and cancel the interview with that guy! Since my husband was home I asked him what he thought I should do. “Well,” he began, “you said you would go, I think you have to live by your word.” Although I knew he was right, I begrudgingly agreed as I decided on which suit to wear.
Since it was an insane shopping day, I left extra early because of the traffic I had predicted, and of course not knowing exactly where I was going even though I drove right by the place for 3and a half years every day. As luck would have it, this means I got there 30 minutes early. Instead of holding my breath and waiting outside, I decided, to heck with it, and went in. Since it’s a retail business it was filled with all the sales people hoping to make sales, and customers looking for a great holiday deal, it was a mess. I introduced myself at the reception desk, and was asked to wait. That would be the first of many times I waited. Finally my “heavy breathing” friend came out to introduce himself, made me fill out an application and left. He didn’t return for 20 minutes and when he did seemed surprised when I told him I had indeed finished the one page document. When he asked me for my driver’s license I declined, asking if would be okay to do that later on (I would also like to add I did not provide my social security number and never give away things like that unless I am actually hired, you too should protect your privacy who knows what they will do with it when you leave).
He took me to his office and had me sit, but not in front of him as in most interviews, but off to the side at the conference table while he sat at his desk. Awkwardly he checked things off on the application as if we were talking about it, but we weren’t. Instead he asked me about my transportation, and if I had any restrictions. Then after a few more checks he said, “you look good to me! Let me go get the General Manager.” I sat there in slight shock since he didn’t ask me any “actual” questions, but okay let’s just imagine he is the bouncer, I told myself. He removed me from his office and directs me to sit in the center of the sales floor, and leaves. When he returns he tells me to follow him, and takes me to a waiting room telling me to now wait there. At this point I had been waiting a total of 30 minutes and was going on to the 4th place of waiting. I was to wait for another 15 minutes for when the General Manager came to meet me, and at least there was a television.
She introduced herself then took me into an office, not her own, and closed the door. We went over my qualifications, and she seems very interested. She asks me about my education, my life, and then we go deeper into my work history. Since I am very confident in what I have done in the past, the interview seems to flow well and my confidence is brimming over with impeccable answers and no inappropriate giggling. We seemed to get along, have a lot to talk about, and things were going well, I was pleased with myself!
Then out of nowhere her tone changes and she says, “well we don’t have any openings right now, but when I saw that you had previous experience I just had to meet you.” It was at this point that I was shocked, and relieved. But as we said our goodbyes my anger began to rise. That guy had me come in on a holiday when they didn’t even have a job opening, are you kidding me?! I specifically said, we could do this next week but no…he said Friday of a holiday weekend!
As soon as I got in my car I called my husband and began the conversation with, “you are never going to believe this one!” He asked me why I hadn’t told her off for wasting my time, especially on a holiday. Now 1) I can’t tell anyone off who is in a position of authority, I’m not a teenager anymore, it’s just not in me and 2) she didn’t set up the interview, HE did, THAT guy! So on my way home all I could think was, how much I hated when people had no respect for my time. Just because they are at work and have to be there, does not mean I have to come there and entertain them! I understand there are many people who want to meet me. Maybe it’s because of my resume, or maybe because of a letter I sent to their establishment, but I’m thinking I might need to start sending out bills for my time, because the only way I’m getting this dressed up is if there is an actual job, or there better be a nice meal at the end from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment