Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dressing for success

When you are unemployed people make assumptions about you. It’s true, we know that we are being judged. Even if you are trying not to formulate any biases, even if you had been in the situation yourself at one time, even if someone close to you is in that same situation right now, somehow we all judge others. Now the good thing about “judgments” per say, is they aren’t all bad. I think there is this automatic negative connotation to the word, but that is not always true.
It hit me while I was watching television, and I was flipping between a show that is fixated on changing the styles of women from a “television disaster” to Hollywood amazing. On it, this woman was having a problem finding employment, so she was introduced to a program that actually helps women with giving them proper business attire, such as suits, and helping them with classes, and workshops. The program is called, “Dress for Success” which helps women of disadvantage to be able to land better jobs, move up within their industries, and so much more.
I have always felt bad for the people on these shows. Most were happy with the way they looked, before being embarrassed, and in some cases made fun of by the hosts for their “lack of taste” as according to the “professionals” of course, so it made me wonder, do I sabotage myself with my fashion sense?
I have talked about wearing the black suit. I’m not a black suit, I’m not a suit person at all! There were so many interviews I walked out watching someone walk in looking exactly like me, little black suit carbon copies. Even worse, there were other interviews where I was the only suit in the room, and I thought, they need to get a suit if they want to get a job! But while shopping for a new suit this weekend, since all I seem to own are black ones, it became clear how hard it really is. A nice suit that fits a woman right is much more difficult than a man’s suit where he can get 2 for 100 bucks and call it a day. We have curves, and some of us don’t have curves, so we can’t always buy the suit that is on sale. Plus, if you want to buy separates, it’s more money. Dressing for success seemed to be an average of $200.00, if you opened a store charge card.
Now I have to think about things like, “how much does this cost,” so my husband kept pushing me to look harder, and I did find something great. But, it was from sheer luck that I am able to wear the same size on the top and the bottom, so I could buy a set. And, the fact that Lord and Taylor is having a huge sale (if you are in need of a suit you really should check it out ladies), plus there are 15% off coupons out there, so you can get a great designer suit for a fraction of the cost! But this isn’t about promoting, it’s about the fact that as unemployed looking good is so much more important than I thought. I laughed off the article about how my hair makes its own impression, but I wear it just like the article said for fear of the impression I’m making. I always wear a suit, although now I have one that isn’t black, I’m not saying get a sequenced suit, but you want to stand out, and sometimes being the only one in a suit does just that.
There are programs out there to help people who can’t afford to buy a suit on their own, so don’t be ashamed to ask for help if you need it. There are also companies that won’t look down at you if you don’t have a suit, so I’m not saying you need one to succeed, it’s just that if you wear one you are saying without words “I take this very seriously,” which means so much more than just that. For all you working folks, the same goes for you. Even if you don’t have to, if you wear a suit, it changes the dynamic at times. My husband never wears a polo shirt in the summer at work, even though he could, because he feels it’s important to dress for the role you want, not the role you have…he’s a smart guy, maybe it’s time I listened to him.
If you want to learn more about Dress for Success, check out this link - http://www.dressforsuccess.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment