Thursday, November 18, 2010

At it again

I don’t know about you, but I never fair well with doctors. I want to tell them what my symptoms are but usually part way through they cut me off and for some reason I shut down and go with whatever they say, usually leaving thinking, oh man I guess I can ask next time. I think there is this part of me that can’t help but respect how difficult it is to become a doctor, and after all they are the expert. So I should have realized that interviewing for a doctor would be a very similar situation for me.
In my first interview I was dismissed within 3 minutes, talked over and cut off leaving me confused and slightly annoyed as I left. I collected myself and sent a well worded, and diplomatic e-mail about how I felt the person I interviewed with had been mistaken to judge me just because I never worked at a doctors office. So, I was more than confused when I was asked to come for a second interview. Just like the first, there was a waiting room filled with people there to interview. In my head I said, “note to self, if hired tell them how horrible this is.” I was of course in my suit, and couldn’t help but notice the first woman called in to interview was wearing brown shoes with a black suit…I was horrified at the thought that she might get this job over me. I’m not qualified, but she is going to be a manager and can’t match her shoes to her suit? The other people waiting, one did not have a suit, the other did, but I remembered the buttons because they were unusual, she was wearing the same suit as the first time I saw her. See, people remember that’s why I needed a new suit. Because all of mine were black, so I can wear five black suits, and never wear the same one…anyway these are men interviewing us so they won’t remember, so I’m sure she is in the clear on that one.
The first woman was only in there about 5 minutes I couldn’t help but think, “oh wow, these interviews are like speed dating,” and then I was called in. As I walked into the office I noticed it was now two people to interview me, it was the patriarch of the practice and the same doctors as before. The greetings were very pleasant, “nice to see you again,” said the junior doctor who probably was thinking, “My dad made me call you in,” and “it’s a pleasure to meet you,” says the patriarch. I sit, and the patriarch begins with how he had to meet the girl who wrote such an e-mail. It was at that moment the junior doctor tries to explain he gets “feelings” and he had not dismissed me. He was cut off by the patriarch who then says to me, “now I don’t want you to feel like you did anything wrong by sending this e-mail.” In my head I’m thinking, of course I didn’t do anything wrong, but I just smiled as to thank him.
As he went on, we talked about my education, and finally he says to me, “I just don’t want to spend the time and energy training you, because I feel like you might get bored,” as I strain to understand where he is going he adds, “I think you are a smart girl, and would be bored…why do you want to be a receptionist anyway?” Without hesitation I replied, “I don’t want to be a receptionist. I’m confused what am I even interviewing for. I thought this was an office manager position?” It turns out, they still don’t think I can handle it because I don’t have reception experience at a doctor’s office.
In the end who knows what will happen. We did talk about a few possible options, and after the longest interview they have probably conducted (I think it might have been a full 20 minutes) they said they will call me the end of this week. I have no idea what to expect. Had someone told me they would have had me in for a second interview two weeks ago, I would have said you had a better chance getting the Jersey Shore cast to do an abstinence campaign (oh wait, Mike the “Situation” is in one! Are pigs flying too?). I still hold out hope that I will hear back from the other position I was interviewing for.  Mostly because I want to be a part of something bigger than me, bigger than I could have ever dreamed possible, because I figured if I was made to wait this long to find a job by the “Job Gods,” it must be for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment