Saturday, November 6, 2010

Conflict

Every other day I am put in the position to write something new. Try to say something that other people can relate to. My last blog was about being a housewife, and I wanted to clarify on a few points.
First, my husband is wonderful. When I wanted to go back to college, he was proud. When work and school became too much he took on the burden, and told me to focus on school…we were only dating at the time. When I graduated he cheered the loudest. Looking for jobs he has helped me to research, apply, and even gotten people to evaluate my resume. He never demands anything for dinner, because he is just happy I cooked. But best of all, he read my blog, and said my last one made him laugh. He tells me all the time how proud he is of me, even when I think of myself as a let down. He never lets me give up.
The only critique (other than taking out the trash, because yes honey you always do it, just not on my schedule) of the blog, was that I didn’t have a positive message. I didn’t have a response at the time, so I went back and read it, and he was right. Everything I write has a positive spin, and this just ended. I took a moment and felt badly because ironically he told me I should write about being a housewife, to which I focused on my fears. I’m not going to be followed by a TV crew anytime soon, and if I was I think they would say, “Joanna, can you please do something other than typing on your computer, food shopping, and cooking?” To which I think I would tell them TV chefs make a boat load of money and I was giving them this stuff for no extra charge!
Anyway, back to my point, I always add a silver lining because I need to know there is one. With Michael I don’t need to be reminded how lucky I am, because I know it. Sure we have our days when I just want him to move and do something I didn’t have to ask for, but I assume there are many days he wished I wouldn’t ask him a million questions that I surely didn’t need to ask, such as, “do you want a root beer float,” because of course he wants one if I’m making chili!
So ultimately my conflict of interest was, not the blog itself because that is how I feel. I worry that we have migrated into these roles, and he will assume that I should do more of the housework, and I spent hours scrubbing the house and he gets to say, “good job,” and bam that’s all I get?! I want our even back, but we are not there yet, being that I still need to land the job. Although Bravo, now that there is no more Danielle, I hear there is an opening, and not only do I do all of the mentioned above, I also watch TV and go on interviews, don’t you think that would make good TV for all the people at home?!

No comments:

Post a Comment