Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My first blog

When I was younger I hated to read. Mostly I hated it because I did not understand the English language. It was so confusing, and infuriating, but for some odd reason I cannot “sound out” words. So reading was not my strong point. But, my parents pushed and pushed, and after learning I was memorizing the books, and not to perfection I might add, they had to come up with another plan.

With many tutors, summers filled with reading, and many more reading competitions at the school level and in our home, I became what I consider to be an expert reader. Unfortunately it never carried over to my writing. My grammar is atrocious, and my lack of vocabulary usually makes for a paper that a 10th grader could have written. But somehow I graduated from college writing hundreds of pages, and still just as terrible as when I had entered.

I am writing this blog not to influence anyone’s use of the English language, but to push the boundaries of what I was always told I should not do. My Professors would push me to “do the oral presentation,” but without fail I would hand in another grammar disaster. This blog will help you to understand the pains of deciding to write a book. Not only will this include my daily disaster of remembering events as they actually happened, but figuring out the words to actually describe that event. The pains of being funny, but also charming, while never losing sight of the events as I remembered them and want others too enjoy them so maybe they too can learn things as I did.

So, please enjoy the diary of the unemployed, since I am not yet a writer, and I don’t consider myself a housewife since we rent. I just consider myself a girl who graduated from college and can’t find a job like so many others.

1 comment:

  1. Joanna, as your classmate and friend, I understand what you are going through with the identity crisis thing. I felt it when I suddenly was laid off in 2009; and again in 2010 when my relationship status changed from engaged to not. Loss of a job and loss of a love are both very saddening. Some days you want to crawl under a big rock and hide; other days you feel like a rock star ready to earn the standing ovation. The key to surviving either aforementioned circumstance is to find new things that make you smile... Go back to the airport and change your answer to Blogger. He doesn't have to know that there is no paycheck at the end of the week, but rather pleasure at the end of the posting. I will keep reading, as long as you keep writing. - Staci

    ReplyDelete