Monday, September 13, 2010

The art of rejection

When you are constantly applying for jobs, and don’t hear anything back, you have to get used to a little thing called rejection. There is a whole other level when you actually make it to the point of the interview and then weeks later you learn they went with someone, “with more experience.” This isn’t bothersome, because it makes sense. Of course if I had the pick of the litter I would want the person who best fit the requirements I was looking for. It just sounds like good business.

But, there comes this point when you start to question, “what am I doing wrong,” because it must be something?! For me that point was months ago, but for my new husband his time in now. He tweaked my resume, helps me with my cover letters, and he helps me look for the jobs that I am best suited for. When HE wasn’t getting any interviews he was baffled. He just couldn’t understand what HE did wrong. Now keep in mind that this is me. I’m the one on that paper, and I’m the one they are talking to, so he should not take it personally, I should! But I came to grips with the fact that I am probably interviewing with at least 15% more people than I ever had to compete with before. And there are probably a minimum of 25% more resumes being sent out than ever before.

I have come to terms with the fact that they can’t get to know me in 30 minutes. That being dressed in a black suit just makes me blend in, not stick out. That being on time, or smiling politely, even answering the question just the way they want to hear it, does not secure anything anymore. There are people out there with much more experience willing to take the pay cut, or people with less experience but they think are more willing to accept the mediocre pay while you will not. Companies are more inclined to judge you without even asking, or assuming that you will never be happy to be entry level, even though you did apply for that job in the first place.

Stay strong, and hold on tight, because when you are an unemployed person who is looking for work, not only do you have to get used to rejection, you also have to get used to being constantly judged by someone, and feeling like you are never quite good enough when you get that e-mail, call or letter that they went with someone else.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can't get to know, in just 30 minutes, how wonderful and funny you are...

    ReplyDelete