Monday, September 27, 2010

Help wanted


So as the time passes and I apply for job after job, there is a question that has arisen within me. Do I really want to work? Well, let’s be frank, does anyone really want to work?! The reason I went back to college was because I did not want to work anymore. Is this confusing? Of course it is!

I went back to college so that I could get a career. Climb the corporate ladder, as they say in the business world! But now that I am applying for jobs, the realization has occurred to me that I don’t want a job, I want a career. Research shows that people who actually know what job, what title, even what company they want to work for, have a much higher success rate. People such as myself, who blindly apply to any job that my resume might look appealing to the employer, aren’t anywhere near as successful. I stopped looking for who is appealing to me.
When we date, we look for the perfect match. We don’t just settle for anyone. Well sure, maybe we go to dinner or get a drink with them, but you don’t enter into a relationship with someone just because they were the only one who asked you out. But when the right guy does come along, you have to go for it! Why can’t I be pickier with where I apply? Why can’t I say things on my cover letter like, “we are a perfect match, and I don’t want to see other companies, let’s be exclusive!” But alas, it comes off too clingy, and no one likes that on a first date.
The job market is like being at a school where there are 7 girls for every guy. The guys are lucky, but the girls have to work extra hard, and for what?! All the guys are not that hot, and they don’t all have great perks and benefits, but the thought of being without a guy at the dance is all too much for some girls, so they take the first thing they can get. If there is anything in all the years I spent and wasted dating the wrong guys (you know who you are) it’s that I’m better than that. Yes, I know I should take any job that is offered to me, but honestly I have not been asked to the dance if you know what I mean. In the movies the girl who holds out always gets the best guy…in this metaphor it’s a job though, I already have the great guy! 

2 comments:

  1. So.....You're not only unemployed.....You're playing hard to get now!...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the metaphor! The interview process is exactly like dating. And thanks for the compliment babes - I'm so proud of you, your blog, and am eagerly anticipating the next post.

    ReplyDelete