Friday, October 29, 2010

Second Chances

For as long as I have been struggling to find work, friends and family have been either secure in their positions, promoted, or even gotten new and “better” jobs. And each and every one of them has said to me, “don’t worry everything happens for a reason.” With every new opportunity that came and went, I can always depend on someone being extremely optimistic about how, “the perfect job is out there,” just for me. I just had to find where there was…
So a few days ago a friend sends me a quick little link in an e-mail saying, “it's nearby, it's nonprofit, and it's about hunger! perfect for you!” So I decided to take a look at the job description and the organization's website, and thought, wow this is something I would really be proud to say I do. So I sent my resume, a few brief words, and then added it to this list of places I have applied, thanking my friend for thinking of me.
I am never shy about telling people I’m unemployed. I am not embarrassed to admit it’s a struggle and to keep me in mind if they hear or see anything. Sure there are times I just say “housewife” because I want them to think this is a choice, but most of the time I flat out say, “I’m a recent college graduate, and the market is really tough, I didn’t think it was going to be this hard.” Everyone asks me the same two questions. First, what did I go to school for, and second what am I looking to do. I honestly believe that people want to help find you a job if they can. Don’t be shy! Spread the word, people will remember you, and if something comes up, they will send it your way. You would be surprised at the crazy texts, e-mails, and voicemails I get. And each one appreciated because it means that people want to help me, because they think I’m worth it.
So as luck would have it, I was actually contacted and asked if I would be free for a phone conversation, but also my blog was mentioned…that’s right someone other than my parents actually read this! And the best part was, when we started our conversation he actually said nice things about the blog. I felt nervous because I know that my blog is how I wish I could speak, I was pretty sure I could not live up to the blog, I mean this is a well thought out piece of wordsmith heaven. But I also have this uncomfortable feeling, after all he is going to look and see what I say next. Will I still tell the “readers” about how nervous and giddy I was? How awkward I was with the questions I asked, and it’s true, I did not impress myself at all.
I was so unimpressed that since he was nice enough to say at the end I could e-mail him with anything I might want to add or any questions I had, that I spent the next two hours researching the organization more deeply, and composing an e-mail. Most people aren’t so lucky. Most interviews are with people who literally would have taken and shredded my resume because the sound of that was more entertaining than my answers, and then ignore my e-mail.
But I’m one of the lucky ones, because not only did he take the time to respond to my questions, I was asked to come in for an interview, the next day…today, possibly right now while you are reading this! I say all the time to take risks, because you never know when one will pay off. I promise you I don’t just say things, I live them! I don’t know if I will get the job, but I am getting face time, this is huge. Let’s be honest, in a world where you can send out 50 resumes and hear crickets, getting an opportunity is something you don’t take for granted. Especially if it is something that you are excited about, don’t think that you shouldn’t try because there is no hope. Because if you give up, and expect something to just happen, then you have been watching way too much television, and let me tell you something that’s scripted, it’s not real!

2 comments:

  1. You are always so positive and you deserve something good. I hope it goes well!!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, i was quoted in your blog! ;)

    i have a really good feeling about this job, jo.

    ReplyDelete