Sunday, October 3, 2010

Accomplishments


Good news. I am finished with the first draft of my book! A very, VERY, rough draft. I say very, because if any one of you has ever read anything that I haven’t revised three times you would think a 10 year old wrote it, and badly for that matter.

This has been an exciting week as I have started on my adventure to get more publicity for my writing. Although when I try to Google myself or the blog, I still can’t find it, I’m lucky all of you have. You feel like you don’t exist if Google doesn’t represent you! I know that isn’t true, but it seems if you are a regular person with a blog, it takes time for the mysterious world of the internet to truly register you as important enough to be “Googled”. But that is not my only issue with technology.

Twitter. It sounds like it should be easy. But it’s like a whole new language, and I have enough problems with English thank you very much! Attempting to find people I thought would be easier, but the site seems like too much work to the untrained “tweeter” such as myself. I have found that the likes of Chelsea Handler and Kathy Griffin aren’t rushing to “follow” me. But how to find people that would find me interesting, I assumed would be much easier.  I assumed wrong.

I also decided to splurge, or invest depending on if I actually sell my book, on what is considered the “bible” on how to become a published author. Unfortunately in my quest I have already encountered a lot of negative feedback from other wannabe authors who rejection is a part of daily life for them. So instead of focusing on the fact that the chances are extremely slim that I will become a published author, I am looking at the facts.

1) I wrote a book in a month (I checked the date of the file, it’s a month) with only investing a few hours a day, Monday through Friday, and some days only one hour.

2) It makes me laugh, I know what I wrote and I still think it’s funny that’s a good sign!

3) I’m getting more into writing, and investing more energy into it to create a name for myself, I like what I do!

So, now the real work begins. Sure the actual book is pretty much done. But now to edit, clarify, and prepare. I need to work on getting an agent, and hopefully you will all see how a star is born. Or if not, then you know someone who wrote a very funny diary or sorts, that if she ever has children they can’t read until they are 21.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know what you mean! I can't wait until I can be "googled" and something other than a few academic things pop up. Somehow Google has become a way in which we validate our success.

    ReplyDelete