Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Insanity

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. Yet once a week I do the same thing, I look over the Sunday papers and see all of the jobs posted and apply to as many as I can. And it’s true, I get the same result every week, nothing.
But am I crazy? Is it insane to keep trying to apply to jobs with no avail? Or, is it the technique. So, with that in mind, it was time for a change, it’s called temporary employment. I have always been against going through agencies or working seasonal because it doesn’t truly help you. Being a temp just gets your hopes up that they might hire you at the end of the 3 months while the whole time the agency been making money for every hour you worked.
Seasonal work is worse. You are literally the bottom of the food chain. You work the shifts no one wants, the days no one wants, and that means the times when you most want to be with your friends and family. You can’t say no, you must be open, that’s what you said to get the job in the first place! I had been against the idea, because I really didn’t want to be working an insane retail job during the holiday season that was only going to leave me unemployed a week after the New Year.
But today a little reminder came in the mail, a letter about my repayment schedule for those pesky student loans that the government was sweet enough to loan me. Trying to stay calm, I put down the letter with the 4 loans that were entering repayment and within 10 minutes it was time for my insane ritual, this time with a twist, seasonal employment. It’s not an issue of pride to not want that kind of job, it was an issue of convenience. Once I read that letter I realized there is no more room for conveniences.  
So technically yes, I have done the same thing again. Applied for jobs online, sent out resumes and wrote new cover letters, but this time I am waving the white flag. I’m saying I will work the horrible holiday season, if that means I can somehow help make a small buffer for these upcoming windfalls of loan payments. But that doesn’t mean you will be seeing me at a mall near you, because now we wait and see who is crazy enough to hire me for the holiday season. And if any prospective employer were to ever happen to read this, I would be happy to work for your establishment for the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment