Saturday, October 23, 2010

Everyone loves a winner

It seems that there is this American mentality, that being number 1 is all that matters. It happens every Olympics on a national level, but all of the time on lesser scales, such as baseball, football, basketball, hockey, well you get the point. But it’s not only in sports that being the best is important (yeah I’m calling you out Spelling Bee’s), or in America (i.e. the World Cup was insane with country love!). In everything we do, we want to be the best, at least I always thought I had to be the best, not number 1 in the state or anything, but the best I could be.
Sometimes it’s not possible. There always has to be an underdog right? Well, right now, the people who are unemployed are the greatest underdogs of them all. People who know someone who is unemployed is hoping they get a job, or if you don’t know someone personally you are probably hoping the number goes down across the country to help the economic climate. But there aren’t enough trophies in the job world to show how special I am! There is the degree from high school, then from college, then there are certifications to get, possible Master’s degrees, PhD’s, and when it comes down to it even more honors that can make it onto your resume and possibly make you stand out. But what do I do, when people don’t care to look at all of the badges I got as a girl scout?!
I’m feeling my competitive nature beginning to come out of me as my interview gets closer. I am beginning to think, if I don’t get this, I’m going to be a “loser” and then what? See my internal game show contestant is hiding behind the girl who is afraid to lose. You know, the kid whose parent signed them up for t-ball and they then sat in the outfield picking clovers because they don’t want anything to do with that ball or bat. How can you win if all you focus on is the negative possibilities? Do Gold medalist picture they are going to lose? Of course not! So what has happened to me?   
How many times can one person be rejected and still keep going…well ironically ask comedian Kathy Griffin. I decided to read her book (and you should too), and wow, that girl had a terrible time breaking into the “industry” and still today she is making her career off of being on the D-list. She is making a living off of not being number 1. It then hit me, she did what she had to do to succeed. She knew the direction she wanted to go, and it didn’t happen the way she thought, or without lots of struggle, but it happened. She had a dream, and she never gave up, or in to her setbacks. Stick to your guns, stick to your dreams. Is my dream to be a receptionist? Well, not exactly, but if that will help me reach my dreams, than today that is my dream.
So I’m ready for a victory. Even if this job interview doesn’t go well, well that will just make for another interesting blog in the drama of being unemployed. And, if I do get the job, then I will become one of the millions of underemployed, just like Kathy Griffin (disclaimer: if Kathy Griffin or any of her people read this…I bought that book, and watch your shows, the A-list is within your grasps…if you want it that is).

1 comment:

  1. Joanna-

    Just wanted to say thanks for all your well-written and inspirational blog posts as they keep me motivated and driven in my quest for employment. Keep it up! I'll be reading!

    -Tony

    ReplyDelete