Sunday, October 31, 2010

10 years

Sure, I would tell you all about my last interview, how I got lost, giggled possibly way too much, or the fact that I actually had two classes with one of the girls that currently works there, but why bore you with all of those details?  Since the question was asked of me, where do I see myself in 10 years, I have been struggling. I wonder if any of you would like to struggle along with me?
It made me realize 1) I’m going to be 10 years older, and I can barely deal with my current age and 2) that I don’t think ahead. It’s true. When I decided to go back to college, all I could focus on was May 15, 2010. When Michael and I set the date for the wedding, I focused on July 31, 2010. But these are exact things, with exact dates. But even worse 3) my initial reaction was mother…not something you might want to blurt out on an interview. Then I began to wonder, why I am so afraid of 10 years from now?
So I am now asking you, what do you see yourself doing 10 years from now? Is the answer hard to come to, or do you know? If you know, then you have something that I myself didn’t when I was first asked, knowing posses…a goal. It seems that this became the answer to my riddle. I have no true career goal because at this moment I have no idea where my career is going. I feel as though I am free falling and waiting to be caught up into something, which then I could run that marathon. But how can you invest yourself into something if there is nothing to grab onto?
It was then that I realized that I am not as directionless as I thought. Although when it comes to if I need a GPS that’s an all together different story! I ultimately know, I want to do good in the world. I’m very open to what good I will do. My theory has always been, focus on one cause at a time. But the truth is, I do have many things I’m passionate about. Currently I have been working to help with patient advocates for pet owners. Since the untimely death of Rusty, I have been working with his original vets who all misdiagnosed him. Because I know that is something I want to focus on, it has been very fulfilling to know that I may possibly be involving myself in a process that can possibly save a pets life. And my goal with this, is to be able to create awareness that the owners are patients too.
So, 10 years from now I want to advocate. Tomorrow I want to advocate, 25 years from now I want to advocate. I want to teach others it’s a good choice for them to as well, and that it can be something as small as speaking up for just one child, elderly person, homeless, even your neighbor, to something large as in helping all of New Jersey’s children get a healthy lunch instead of chicken nuggets and french fries, but actual healthy food to help keep their minds sharp and healthy. My point is, it took me days to answer a question posed in a phone interview. I never stopped thinking about it just because the interview was over.
So the million dollar question is still the same, maybe I will pose it differently, if you didn’t have to work for money, what would you do? Sometimes you will hear something, and it will make you think…that’s not always a bad thing. Go with it! Explore it! Fight yourself until you figure out why it bothers you so much. Then when all is said and done, make it happen.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite of your blogs so far - and does it make me Princess Super nerd that even if I didn't have to work for money - I'd still want to do exactly what I'm trying to do now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Holmes on Homes so I think I might like to do a habitat for humanity type of thing to build homes for others. That sounds like a blast, I would be doing a good thing for others and learning and the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is slightly unrelated, but I found this quote from the movie "Toosie" with Dustin Hoffman, and it relates to unemployment...

    "I don't believe in hell. I believe in UNEMPLOYMENT, but not hell." -Tootsie

    ReplyDelete