Friday, October 15, 2010

Being desired...

It is always a good day when someone calls me to say that they found my resume on a website and they think I would be ideal for “fill in the blank” position. I used to get so excited, 1) they saw my resume and still wanted to talk to me and 2) they think I’m ideal! But as time has gone on I have realized that you shouldn’t get too excited by a compliment.
About a week ago I got a call from a 215 area code. So when I picked up the phone I hesitated a little with my greeting. Of course the person on the other end rambled so fast I barely understood a word they said. Her last sentence is one I hear a lot from recruiter types, “so what time can I schedule you in for an interview and test?” Now, this is exciting right?! To the “virgin” unemployed yes, but not me, I’m a bit of an expert now. First things first, 215, so I ask, “I can’t help but notice your area code is 215, is this position located in Pennsylvania?” To which she reply, “yes, this job is located in South Philadelphia.”
Okay, you would think that I would have hung up at this point, but I’m an open minded girl, after all in the jumble of words that were spewed at me I was told how the company sent my resume to them so I knew they were interested. So I ask, “well, I was wondering what the pay range is, I live in Central New Jersey, and it’s quite a ride for me, so I would need to know more about that. Is that something that you could tell me before I drive all the way down there?” See I am reasonable!
Now, I know it’s taboo to talk money, but I already lost an opportunity because the company decided I would want to look for another job because of the pay they were offering, thanks to the recruiter for telling them how much I used to make, which let me tell you I would have been quite content with their range. All the same, I’m not driving to South Philly a 90+ mile commute one way, without knowing the pay range. The reply, “well I would just think you should be happy to be getting an offer, after all it’s a terrible market out there.” Yes, I’m not exaggerating. Because what I really wanted to say was, “really? It’s bad out there, I hadn’t noticed! Good talk,” then hang up…but I have manners.
I smiled, even though they couldn’t see me, they say you can see a smile through the phone, and politely replied, “yes, you are right. But, I’m not sure I want to drive 4 hours a day for a job that my first 2 paychecks will be going to pay for gas and tolls every month.” To this she decided to look on the map where I lived in location to the actual facility. I politely sat and waited as it took her forever to type both addresses then she replied, “Oh no! This is not worth it!” Internally I smiled because I knew she was eating her words, thanked her, and hung up.
A week later I noticed another 215 number calling, a similar long rant about how this company wanted me and with the question of when will I be coming in. Again, I politely said I lived about 2 hours away and that if this job paid enough I would consider relocation. This time he told actually told me how much it paid, “it’s $12.00 an hour,” he said. I replied, “would you relocate to South Philadelphia for $12.00 an hour?” And now I believe they won’t be calling me back anymore because I think I offended a man who makes about $12.00 an hour living in South Philly.

1 comment:

  1. i think you can have a maximum mileage you will travel on monster and careerbuilder - maybe you don't have that set up? i did and i think my maximum was 40 miles. . . and oddly enough, that's what i drive now! lol

    ReplyDelete